Somthing happened and a partial post resulted. My apologies. Here it is in full, (I hope.)
1. Pattern name: Princess Slip #0336
2. Sewer’s skill level: experienced
3. Pattern rating; easy
4. Skill level: intermediate; need to be able to sew a straight line, accurately make pleats, improvise neck and arm hole finishes
5. Instructions: easy to follow, although determining the length with the pleats was unnecessarily complicated
6. Size/fit: I expected it to fit a commercial size 10-12, which it did, more or less.
7. Alterations: My granddaughter is tall but short waisted, so I shortened the pattern at the waist and corrected the curves to fit her proportions in a paper mock up, as obviously she will not be wearing a corset underneath. Since our aim was a summer dress we shortend it to knee length, reducing the pleated flounce to 10″ from the given 17″. Finished length hits mid knee.
8. Other notes: I used a zipper up the back instead of buttons for more comfort in wearing. I added insertion lace over the back seams and squared it off at the back neck. I did not undercut the insertion except on the bodice and I should have not undercut the bottom row of lace as it is too open and the bra shows through, so we decided to line the dress. Using a thin neutral poly I cut it like the dress and attatched it at the yoke by hand and left the rest to hang free. I did not use ruffled eyelet, as that would have been too SS&G, as my mother would have said. (Sweet, simple and girlish) Instead I made bias edging from the dress fabric and bound the neck and arm edges before I sewed the side seams. I turned the bias to the inside and finished it with a very narrow edging (1/16th inch) on the outside. The narrow hem called for in the instructions would not be strong enough and would leave a difficult to finish lace edge under arm.
9. Materials used: A rose-beige cotton monotone small flower print is what Elizabeth chose from my stash, the lining is a neutral beige light weight poly, which I had on hand. I had the zipper and all the lace is vintage that I inherited from a great aunt who was a dressmaker in the era of the pattern. Cost: nothing. Only time.
10. Final thoughts: Elizabeth is thrilled to have a dress custom made for her and is happy with the way it turned out. Making the dress was fun, We were challenged to select the best lace for the project from what I had on hand and I am happy to find a good use for it. Blogging is the hardest part of the project and I do not enjoy that. Carol Jean Locke