Well I finaly have time to re-blog about the wrap I did for the 1912 project.
To start this was the first time I downloaded and printed a pattern. This went well and was accomplished easily. It was a bit like puzzle night when I taped the pieces together though. Kept some negative pieces and threw out the positive areas… So I printed again.
I made the first one out of an antique gold colored dull satin with an overlay of maroon lace. I layered these two fabrics (both right side up) and treated them as one fabric throughout the cutting and sewing process. I trimmed the paper pattern on the cutting line to make the cutting more accruate (and to save my good scissors). I layed out the pattern one piece one layer at a time (treating the satin/lace as one fabric). I did not cut the main piece on the fold. Instead I layed out the piece on one layer of fabric, making sure that both sides would fit (as if on the fold). I then cut the piece out, all but the fold edge. I then fliped the pattern piece, linng up the fold line, and finished cutting the piece. I did this to keep both layers (lace/satin) acurate. I then cut out the lining. I used a maroon lining to match the lace. When cutting out the lining I made it 1/8 inch smaller all the way around. This helps prevent the lining from rolling to the right side, even with understitching.
I sewed the lining to the ties first. Sewing around all but the connection seam. I then graded and trimed the seams and turned the ties right side out. I the connected the ties to the main body, pleating the ties to fit, making sure to have the finished edges of the tie ends within the body area of the seam (leaving the seam allowances free). I then sewed the lining to the main body. Starting at one tie edge, sewing around to the other tie. Sewing over the tie connection seam, making sure not to catch the tie end where it does not belong. Continue around to the original tie edge, leaving this side open. I trimed, graded, and cliped the seams, then turned the wrap right side out. I pressed the edges to set the curves and points. I trimmed this in a maroon light weight boucle` fringe. I sewed this on by hand using a prick stitch along the top and bottom of the fringe binding. I lightly gathered the edge on the inward curves to help the trim lay correctly. And sewed a small seam that was clipped open and stitched down to form the points. These last steps really help the trim binding to lay flat. I then found a really nice antique looking broche to use as a closure. Perfect for an evening out then and now.
I then made one out of just lace, no underlayer or lining. I used an overlay, stitch, and trim method to sew the seams, so they are invisable.. I then used the same sewing technique to attach a matching flat lace around the whole wrap, tie ends and all. I found a chrystal pin as a closure for this one, but it was so light weight that you could just tie it closed. Great for a bride!
Again thanks for your time.