I have finished the Corset Cover (#0176) and am so happy with the results. As I mentioned before, I altered it considerably to fit me. I tea-dyed the fabric and the laces. Not everything turned out the same color. The different fibers took the dye differently, consequently some of the lace was darker than others. The netting on the gathered edge of the lace dyed quite a bit darker. I like the effect, however. I didn’t have any ecru ribbon, so I used a peach color for the beading at the top. My ironing assistant is Meter.
The pattern is VPLL #0176 Corset Cover published in Le Mode Illustre January 21, 1912. It has insertion lace on the front, beading lace at the neckline and buttons down the front. I increased the size directly from my measurements and found them to create an excellent fit. The instructions seems complete and clear. It looks like the drawing and was very easy to assemble. I hand-rolled the fabric behind the insertion lace but would recommend using the zig-zag technique for a quicker application. I liked the shape created by the seaming at the side back. The tea-dyed muslin offers a neutral background from outer garments. Grading the pattern for size is the only alteration I made, and I would recommend this pattern to others.
1. VPLL Corset Cover #0176
2. My skill level – Advanced
3. Rating – 5 Loved it. An easy and flattering pattern.
4. Skill Level – This could successfully be assembled by a beginner sewer.
5. The instructions were easy to follow and appeared to be complete.
6. Fit was exactly what I expected.
7. The only alterations I made were for fit, maintaining the original design.